The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) assign nursing home facilities that participate in Medicare & Medicaid a rating from a low 1 star to a high of 5 stars, based on health inspection surveys, staffing information, and quality of care measures.
- Five-star designation is “much above average”
- Four-star designation is “above average”
- Three-star designation is “about average”
- Two-star designation is “below average”
- One-star designation is “much below average”
The ratings are available online at CMS's Nursing Home Compare website at www.medicare.gov.