Do I need a permit to cut/remove trees on my property?

The Kenosha County Department of Planning and Development does not issue permits for tree removal. However, regulations are in place to limit tree/shrub clearing near waterways.

Section 12.18-2 of the Zoning Ordinance states: 12.18-2 Tree Cutting and Shrubbery Clearing
The cutting of trees and shrubbery shall be regulated to protect natural beauty, control erosion and reduce the flow of effluents, sediments and nutrients from the shoreland area. In the strip of land 35 feet wide inland from the ordinary high water mark, no more than 30 feet in any 100 feet (30%) shall be clear-cut. In shoreland areas more than 35 feet inland, trees and shrubbery cutting shall be governed by the consideration of the effect on water quality and consideration of sound forestry practices and soil conservation practices. The tree and shrubbery cutting regulations required by this paragraph shall not apply to the removal of dead, diseased or dying trees or shrubbery. Paths and trails shall not exceed ten (10) feet in width and shall be so designed and constructed as to result in the least removal and disruption of shoreland cover and the minimum impairment of natural beauty. 

In addition to regulations limiting tree/shrub clearing near waterways, woodlands are protected under the C-2 Upland Conservancy District zoning classification: The C-2 Upland Resource Conservancy District is intended to preserve, protect, enhance and restore all significant woodlands, areas of rough topography, and related scenic areas. Regulation of these areas will serve to control erosion and sedimentation and will promote and maintain the natural beauty of Kenosha County. Tree clearing is prohibited in the C-2 Upland Conservancy District except for the construction of a driveway and permitted structures, removal of dead and diseased vegetation and removal of invasive species.

If you should have questions regarding the integrity of your woodlands or the species thereon, feel free to contact the county Conservation Planner at the Kenosha County Department of Planning and Development at (262) 857-1895.

Show All Answers

1. What areas are in the County’s zoning jurisdiction?
2. How do I find out the zoning of my property?
3. How do I find out what zoning district my property is in?
4. What is a stakeout survey?
5. Why do I need a survey?
6. Why is a survey an important document?
7. Is there a survey of the property and how do I get a copy?
8. What is a foundation survey?
9. What is a foundation survey requirement?
10. What is a waiver of liability?
11. What is a waiver of liability requirement?
12. What is a release of waiver of liability document?
13. What is a variance?
14. How many animals/horses or livestock can I have on my property?
15. Can the Kenosha County Department of Planning and Development answer questions about my property if it lies within the City of Kenosha or a Village within Kenosha County?
16. What is a setback?
17. What are the setbacks on my property?
18. What is a setback distance requirement measured from?
19. What is a 100-year floodplain?
20. What is an ordinary high water mark (OHWM) elevation?
21. What is a wetland?
22. When is a zoning permit required?
23. What if I am only replacing what already exists?
24. Do I need a permit for a patio?
25. Do I need a zoning permit for a fence?
26. Do I need a zoning permit for a deck?
27. Do I need a zoning permit for a swimming pool, spa, jacuzzi or hot tub?
28. Is a fence required around my swimming pool?
29. Do I need a zoning permit for a sign?
30. Do I need a permit to cut/remove trees on my property?
31. What is the process for applying for a zoning permit?
32. How long does it take to obtain a zoning permit?
33. What is the cost of a zoning permit?
34. How long are zoning permits valid?
35. What happens if construction is not complete and the zoning permit is about to expire?
36. Will the building inspector check my setbacks?
37. Do I need an appointment to apply for a zoning permit?
38. Where can I obtain my tax key number?
39. Where can I find a legal description of my property?
40. Can I store unlicensed and/or inoperable vehicles on my property?
41. Do I need a permit to operate a home occupation from my residential property?
42. Is more than one dwelling unit allowed on a property?
43. Can I have an "in-law" unit on my property?
44. Can I place a mobile home or manufactured home on my property?
45. Is my property in the 100-year floodplain?
46. Does the County issue permits for piers and other structures placed on the bed of a body of water?
47. Can I have a boathouse on my property?
48. How many accessory buildings can I have on my property?
49. What size accessory structure can I have on my property?
50. I have a vacant piece of land. Can I place or construct an accessory building/structure without a residence on the site?
51. What if I have a substandard lot or structure?
52. What is required for a new home construction permit?
53. Do I need a zoning permit for new windows, new doors, new shingles, etc....?
54. What do I need to start a new business?