Can I fill my property?
Generally, an individual can fill his or her land to some degree if it is outside the shoreland floodplain or wetland areas and with local town/municipal approvals. If the project disturbs a total land surface area of 4,000 square feet or more; or involves excavation or filling, or a combination of excavation and filling, in excess of 400 cubic yards of material an erosion control permit is required. If filling takes place within the shoreland and wetland areas: A County stipulated shoreland permit is required, erosion control standards must be met and proper drainage methods must be practiced to protect adjacent properties. In general, wetland and floodplain areas cannot be filled. Contact the County Department of Planning & Development office before doing any filling. Any after-the-fact filling, which required a permit, will have to pay a triple fee.

Show All Answers

1. What conservation programs are available to county residents?
2. I am interested in the CRP Program.
3. I would like to abandon a well and heard there is cost-sharing available.
4. Do you have a tree program?
5. What are conservation buffers?
6. Can I fill my property?
7. Can I have horses? How many?
8. Can I put rocks on the shoreline?
9. What do I have to do to construct a pond?