With help from a grant from the Wisconsin Stewardship Fund, Kenosha County will soon be adding 113 acres to the KD Park. The new land, which will be purchased in December, fits seamlessly with the park's current 234 acres, and will be incorporated into the existing 4.2-miles hiking trail system as soon as possible.
In addition to the parkland, the new acreage also includes a building that formerly housed the Powers Lake Construction headquarters, which will be used as a west-end park maintenance center, as well as the right-of-way needed for the future straightening of Highway F, which runs along the park's southern border.
The KD Park is being developed with the goal of becoming a center for recreation and education based on sustainable living practices. The park is open daily from 7 am to 10 pm for hiking, leashed dog-walking, and snowshoeing and cross-country skiing, when conditions are right.
For more information on the park, please visit KD Park, or contact General Manager of Park Operations Jon Rudie at 262-857-1869.