Temporary Uses


Temporary useA temporary use is a use of land, buildings, or structures not intended to be of permanent duration and not located on a parcel for more than 12 months.

Section 12.36-5(a)5 of the Kenosha County General Zoning and Shoreland / Floodplain Zoning Ordinance (PDF) states that the Kenosha County Board of Adjustments (BOA) has the following ability:

  • To hear and grant applications for temporary uses, in any district provided that such uses are of a temporary nature, do not involve the erection of a substantial structure, and are compatible with the neighboring uses and the Department of Planning and Development has made a review and recommendation. The permit shall be temporary, revocable, and subject to any conditions required by the Board of Adjustment. It shall be issued for a period not to exceed 12 months. Compliance with all other provisions of this Ordinance is required.


To make certain that the temporary use will not be contrary to the public interest. To promote the public health, safety, morals, aesthetics, and general welfare of the citizens of Kenosha County. To formally state characteristics of the use, such as temporary structures, temporary signage, parking, sanitation, employment, safety, etc.


It is recommended that you meet with county development staff before submitting your application. Staff will review the standards for a temporary use with you prior to your filling out the application.

You must submit a complete Temporary Use Permit Application (PDF), including a to-scale site plan of operation. You must submit the appropriate fee based on the Kenosha County Department of Planning and Development Fee Schedule (PDF).


The petitioner must attach a separate site plan drawing showing the layout of the intended use (stand(s), trailer(s), tent(s), container(s), signage, building(s), etc.) along with a business write-up describing dates of operation, hours of operation, parking, sanitation, employment, safety, etc.

After formally filing with Kenosha County, you are required to file a copy of your date-stamped application with your local town clerk. After you complete your meeting(s) with the town, you will then come before the Kenosha County Zoning Board of Adjustments and present your temporary use permit application for formal action. The Board will approve, approve with conditions or deny your application.

Please refer to the Board of Adjustments Hearing Schedule for filing and hearing dates.



You can anticipate the Board of Adjustments process will take approximately four to eight weeks from the time of submittal. Please keep in mind that this process may take longer if your temporary use permit application is tabled at the town or county level and/or if additional information becomes necessary.