Mission Statement & Operational Philosophy
The Detentions Division of the Kenosha County Sheriff’s Department is responsible for the operation of the county jail system and it’s supporting functions. Under the auspices of the Sheriff of Kenosha County, the Detentions Division controls the operation of the Adult Pre-Trial Detention Center and the Kenosha County Detention Center providing safe and secure housing to all persons remanded to the custody of the Kenosha County Sheriff.
The Detentions Division of the Kenosha County Sheriff’s Department services the secure detention needs of the criminal justice community, together with the public safety needs of the citizens of Kenosha County. This is accomplished by providing housing for pretrial detainees in a system of modern linear confinement, and sentenced persons in a direct supervision environment. All incarceration is managed by policies that hold inmates accountable for their behavior. This system of safe and appropriate housing of detainees is the product of Objective Inmate Classification, which determines risk levels. This safe and secure confinement includes responsible management, aided by community based programming providing practical life skills exposure. This creates a perpetual goal of releasing persons from confinement back into the community in a condition no worse then when they first arrived.
The professional principles of the American Jail Association, the American Correctional Association, and the National Commission for Correctional Health Care will serve to continually guide the management and operation of these facilities. This responsible management, together with continual training of staff, will maintain effective control of Detentions Division operations in the most cost-effective manner possible.
To accomplish this mission, the members of the Kenosha County Sheriff’s Department Detentions Division, have committed to the following values for guidance in our continuing efforts and decisions:
- Human Life: As human beings, we participate in, and revere life above all else.
- Integrity: We believe that integrity is the platform that supports personal and public trust.
- Excellence: We continue to strive for personal and professional excellence, together with the development of social responsibility.
- Accountability: We are accountable to each other and to the citizens we serve. We believe that within the service to our community, we find the source of our authority.
- Cooperation: We believe that cooperation among ourselves, our community, our government, and other law enforcement agencies will enable our diversity, skill, and backgrounds to blend, so we may better achieve our common goals.
The sheriff, staff and management of the Kenosha County Sheriff’s Department Detentions Division are committed to the principles of basic human rights and dignity afforded all persons incarcerated, as embodied within the Constitution of the United States and the State of Wisconsin. We acknowledge and respect the authority and jurisdiction of all federal, state, and municipal laws.