Note: If the well has been temporarily chlorinated, it is necessary to pump until it is free of chlorine before sampling.
- Keep sample bottle closed unit it is to be filled.
- Use cold water faucet. No Swivel or Swing Faucets. Avoid water softener faucet if possible.
- Remove faucet attachments such as screen or aerator.
- Sterilize metal taps by heating with a flame (butane lighter, propane torch etc.). Do not flame plastic faucets.
- Open tap fully and let water run for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce water flow to permit filling bottle without splashing.
- Take care not to touch the top of the bottle or the inside of the cap. Fill sterile sample bottle to the shoulder.
- Replace cap securely.
- Transfer samples to laboratory using an insulated carrier containing ice.
- Please print top and left portions of the Water Testing Form (PDF) in black ink and return with water sample.
Return the sample, within 24 hours of collection, with ice still present, to the following laboratory address:
Kenosha County Division of Health
8600 Sheridan Road, Suite 600
Kenosha, Wisconsin 53143
The laboratory will accept water samples Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. The laboratory may be closed from Noon to 1:00 pm. Samples will not be accepted on Fridays or the day before a holiday. Warm or late samples will not be accepted.
A verbal report may be obtained by calling the laboratory at (262) 605-6705 after 3:00 p.m. the following day. A written report will be mailed shortly thereafter.
View private well water links.