Directions for Collecting a Water Sample for Nitrate Testing
To ensure accurate results, water samples for nitrate testing must be kept on ice after the sample is collected. Our laboratory licensing requires that we follow certain policies regarding the use of proper sample conditions. This may require us to reject samples if they are not submitted properly.
- Collect the water sample, filling the collection bottle to the shoulder. Securely tighten the cap on the bottle.
- Place the capped bottle in the smaller plastic bag. Burp the bag of excess air and zip it shut.
- Place the sealed bottle bag into the larger plastic bag. Insert several ice cubes with a little water and seal the outer bag.
- Complete the Water Testing Form (PDF), printing in black ink. Only one form is required when both tests (nitrate and total coliforms) are requested.
- Place the sealed bags and the form inside the styrofoam box and fasten with a rubber band.
Return the sample, within 24 hours of collection, with ice still present, to the following laboratory address:
Kenosha County Public Health
8600 Sheridan Road, Suite 600
Kenosha, Wisconsin 53143
The laboratory accepts water samples Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The laboratory may be closed from noon to 1:00 p.m. Samples will not be accepted on Fridays or the day before a holiday. Warm or late samples will not be accepted.
A verbal report may be obtained by calling the laboratory at (262) 605-6705 after 3:00 p.m. the following day. A written report will be mailed shortly thereafter.