Peer Support Resources
What is a peer support specialist/recovery coach?
A peer support specialist/recovery coach is a person who has lived experience in recovery from substance use and/or a mental health disorder. Peer support can offer support and resources to peers’ family members, friends, and significant others. There is no charge for these services.
Local Program Available
Oakwood Clinical Associates – 262-652-9830
Referrals can be accepted from individuals, family members, or other agencies. Please call the office to make an appointment with peer support or to speak with them over the phone.
Here’s what they offer:
- Peer-to-peer in mental health and substance use
- Work with peer’s family members — can be parents, siblings and significant others — offering them support and resources
- Provide resources to peers on different pathways of recovery such as community groups, inpatient, outpatient - Detox, Kare Center, Medically Assisted Treatment, Psychiatrist, Medicaid Insurance, KHDS/CCS, Services at Workforce Development, Care Net, Shalom Center and Oxford Recovery Houses
- Added to peer’s recovery/treatment plan to CCS, Treatment Court, DCFS, Probation Officer, CleanSlate, Domestic Violence, Driving Programs and therapists
- Peer Specialists accept walk-ins, same day appointments/next day appointments (No insurance is necessary to see peer support, peer sign RIO for KCDADS)
- Peer Specialists can meet with peer in public settings such as in Recovery Community Groups, coffee shops, parks, restaurants, etc.
- Peer Specialists meet with peer where they are at in their recovery and if they are active in their addictions/alcoholism; will work on readiness for treatment.
- Peer Specialists only work for peers and not for their probation, DCFS, or lawyers unless there is a ROI from peer
- If missed appointments with therapists are jeopardizing discharge from clinic, can transfer to peer support to gain consistency, work through barriers and transition back into treatment w/therapist.
- Peer seeking services now due to stress (COVID 19) without insurance can see peer specialist for support and to find resources
- Current patients who lose insurance due to COVID 19 can see Peer Specialist as an alternative to therapy for the time being — to obtain support and resources.