Falls and Older Adults
- Falls have surpassed motor vehicle crashes as the most common cause of injury-related death.
- A large majority of fall-related deaths (87%) and inpatient hospitalizations (70%) involve people age 65 or older.
- Hospitalizations and emergency department visits due to falls result in $800 million in hospital charges each year in Wisconsin.
- Over 70% of the costs for fall-related hospitalizations and emergency department visits are paid by government insurance programs such as Medicare and Medicaid.
- The majority of falls that result in death occur in the home.
- Approximately 40% of those admitted to a nursing home had a fall in the 30 days prior to admission.
We also know that falls are an event that we can prevent with information and education which can be found via the following links.
|Exercise for Balance and Strength||In the quest to keep ourselves strong and fit as we age, there are plenty of resources out there that can help us add exercise or activity to our daily lives.|
|Falls Prevention Safety Plan||Printable falls prevention safety plan that can help keep you on your feet|
|Falls Prevention Links||Resources and information about various topics related to falls prevention|
|Kenosha County Falls Prevention Coalition||Working within the community to educate consumers and professionals about reducing the risk of falls and helping people to remain independent at home as long as possible.|
|Kenosha County Falls Prevention Plan (PDF)||A simple plan to help reduce your risk of falls|
|Nutritional Links||Good nutrition is one way to keep your body healthy. Before making any dietary changes please be sure to speak with your doctor or other healthcare professional so that you can make changes that are right for you.|
|Register for a Stepping On workshop||Online registration form for the 7-week falls prevention workshop, Stepping On|
|Stepping On Falls Prevention Workshop||A 7 week falls prevention and education workshop that is fun, interactive, and reduces your risk for a fall.|
|Tai Chi Videos||Tai Chi for Seniors is a series of 15 short online videos, each working on a different move.|