Utility / Energy Assistance

Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP)

The Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) provides utility expense assistance to qualified Kenosha County household residents from October 1 to May 15. Utility assistance can be for natural gas, electric, propane, wood, oil fuel, etc. Many households with income from farms, offices, factories and other workplaces receive WHEAP assistance.

WHEAP also provides crisis (emergency) assistance for utility reconnections, disconnection prevention and furnace repair or replacement to qualified Kenosha County household residents. This is done on a yearly basis depending on the availability of funds.

The benefit is intended to help reduce the overall energy burden of the household for the current benefit season. These benefits are not intended to cover entire bills or monthly payments.

How To Apply

Your household may be eligible for Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) services based on a number of factors. Households must complete a Home Energy Plus application through the local WHEAP agency. The local WHEAP agency for Kenosha County residents is: 

925 59th Street
Kenosha, WI 53140
(262) 657-2170

Office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. To apply or schedule an appointment, please call the local WHEAP Agency.

For income limits, please visit the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance website listed below.

To apply online for energy assistance go to energybenefit.wi.gov.

No Heat Situation

If you’re in a situation of no heat, please contact the local WHEAP Agency during normal business hours.

For after-hours, weekends or holidays, please contact your local law enforcement center. The local law enforcement center will contact the WHEAP Agency.

For more information on the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance, please visit their website.